The next “Super Bowl” game is set to be played in Sydney.
The event has been set to begin on January 6, 2019, and the date has been confirmed by NSW Government Minister for Sport Greg Hunt, who said the venue was a major priority for the state.
Mr Hunt said the NSW Government would continue to “get behind” the event and it would be a great experience for the State.
Mr Cameron said he was “very confident” the venue would be successful and he would be “working with the NSW State Government, the NSW Premier and other parties to make sure we get it right”.
“The NSW Government is keen to get the event in Sydney and it’s been a priority for us and we’re confident it will be a fantastic game,” he said.
Mr Cameron said it would “definitely” be a Super Bowl “that’s the highlight” for the nation.
The state Government’s decision comes as Mr Hunt faces criticism over his response to the Super Bowl in 2020, when it was decided that Sydney could host the game.
“I think we are the one state that is not yet able to have the Superbowl,” Mr Cameron told Channel Nine.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has also come under pressure for the announcement.
Ms Berejika said she was “totally confident” of securing the Superbowl, but said the State Government was committed to securing Sydney hosting the game in 2020.
She said it was a “great opportunity” to get people to come out and support the state in the event of a terrorist attack.
A NSW Government spokesman said the announcement had been made “on the basis that we are currently at the top of the world in terms of attracting and retaining sporting and cultural visitors and we are confident that we will attract some great sporting events and cultural events to Sydney in 2020”.
“The Super Bowl is an incredibly important part of our city and I am looking forward to the event’s success, both at home and overseas,” the spokesman said.