FourFourSeconds ago, we posted this video of a military football match between two teams from Australia and New Zealand.
This was before they became the biggest football nations in the world and after the AFL had banned all but three of their games.AAP/ABCAAPAAPCricket Australia has been at the forefront of the game’s push for a national day of mourning following the shooting deaths of three soldiers, one of whom was an Aboriginal Australian soldier.
Now it looks like we may have to pay a heavy price for the sport’s efforts.
The Australian Rules Football Association has announced that it will host its annual All Australian Games in the middle of a national mourning period.
The league says the All Australian Football Association, which will hold the games in November, is holding an “all-hands meeting” on Friday, which is a time when the association is planning for the funerals of its members.
In a statement on its website, the association said the all-hands session was a way to reflect on the sacrifices of the four dead soldiers and that the meeting would focus on “the current situation in the region and how this will affect the future”.
“This is a significant moment for the association and it is very important to all our players and our fans,” the statement said.
“We are all here to reflect and we will all come together to offer our thoughts and condolences.”
The All Australian football league is a group of nine teams based in Sydney.
The AFL’s national governing body, the Australian Sports Commission, said in a statement that it was “disappointed to see a group that is committed to equality and the equal treatment of all members of the community, including Aboriginal people, have taken the decision to move the All Aussie Games to November.”
The association said it would work with the NSW Government to “address the concerns raised by the players” and “address concerns raised in the media”.
The game was banned by the NRL in the past, but the league and the governing body were unable to agree on a new format.AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan told ABC Radio Melbourne’s 7.30 on Thursday that the league had been “encouraged” by the NSW government and was “pleased to see it move forward”.
He said the decision was not “a final decision” and the AFL and the NSW Premier had spoken to each other and had been in touch.
“I can’t give you a timeframe on when the All Australia Games will be held but it will happen when it happens, when it is ready,” Mr McLachlansaid.
The NSW Premier said the “unusual circumstances” surrounding the deaths of the soldiers “raise serious concerns”.
“It’s something we are doing our utmost to deal with,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.ABC/AAPTopics:sports,australian-football-league,aussie-rules,united-statesFirst posted October 05, 2019 13:53:39Contact Adam Gidley